Los Angeles is renowned for its thriving live music scene, and few venues have a more illustrious history than The Roxy Theatre. Situated on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, The Roxy has been at the forefront of the city’s musical culture for over four decades. If you’re a fan of live music, then you no doubt have questions about The Roxy’s capacity, who has played there, and how it compares to other venues in the city.
In this comprehensive blog post, we’ll delve into all aspects of The Roxy Theatre’s capacity, including its history, size, and famous performances. We’ll also look at how it stacks up against other venues in Los Angeles, such as El Rey Theatre and the California Theater. Additionally, we’ll discuss the tragic events that led to the closure of the Roxie Theater Los Angeles, and how the venue has bounced back to become a must-visit for music lovers.
So, whether you’re a seasoned concert-goer or a curious newcomer to the LA music scene, this post has got you covered. Read on to discover everything you need to know about The Roxy Theatre’s capacity and its place as a true icon of the American music scene.
The Roxy Theatre: A Historic Venue for Live Performances
The Roxy Theatre is a renowned live music venue located in West Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. The vibrant venue is known for hosting some of the best live performances by local and international musicians.
History of The Roxy Theatre
- The Roxy Theatre was established in 1973 by Elmer Valentine.
- The venue was originally a strip club, but Valentine transformed it into a music venue after buying it.
- The first ever live performance at The Roxy was by Neil Young. Since then, the venue has been a hub for music lovers in the LA area.
- The Roxy has played a significant role in the development of music genres such as punk rock, heavy metal, and glam rock.
Features of The Roxy Theatre
The venue is known for its iconic features:
- The intimate capacity of the venue allows for an up-close and personal experience with the performers. The Roxy Theatre capacity is approximately 500 people.
- The stage is small but dynamic, providing an excellent view of the performers. It’s a unique feature that sets the venue apart from other music halls.
- The sound quality at the Roxy is exceptional. The sound system is well-designed to ensure the best sound experience for the audience.
Events at The Roxy Theatre
The Roxy Theatre hosts a wide range of events, including:
- Live music performances: Some of the most famous musicians in the world have taken the stage at The Roxy Theatre. These include Bob Marley, The Ramones, Guns N’ Roses, and many others.
- Stand-up comedy shows: The venue also hosts comedy nights, with performances by famous comedians such as Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, and Andrew Dice Clay.
- Special screenings: The Roxy occasionally hosts film screenings for indie films and other unique movies.
Tips for Enjoying Your Time at The Roxy Theatre
- Arrive early to grab a good spot: Since the venue is relatively small, it’s crucial to arrive early to get a good view of the stage.
- Dress for the occasion: The venue has a casual dress code, so comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended.
- Bring cash: The Roxy does not accept credit cards at the bar, so make sure to bring cash if you want to enjoy a drink.
- Check the schedule: The venue has a constant rotation of events, so make sure to check the schedule in advance to avoid missing out on your favorite performer.
In conclusion, The Roxy Theatre is a legendary venue with a rich history of live performances. Its intimate capacity, exceptional sound quality, and dynamic stage make it a must-visit destination for music and comedy lovers in Los Angeles. Don’t miss your chance to experience the magic of live performances at The Roxy Theatre!
El Rey Theatre Capacity
If you’re looking for another great venue to catch a live show in Los Angeles, El Rey Theatre should definitely be on your list. This historic theater is known for its incredible acoustics and art deco architecture, making it a popular choice for both local and national acts. In this section, we’ll take a closer look at the capacity of El Rey Theatre and what you can expect when attending a show at this iconic venue.
El Rey Theatre is located in the heart of the Miracle Mile neighborhood of Los Angeles. It was originally built as a movie theater in 1936 and was later transformed into a live music venue. The venue has a maximum capacity of 771 people, making it a great choice for more intimate shows where you can get up close and personal with the artists.
There are several seating options available at El Rey Theatre, depending on the type of show you’re attending. These include:
- General Admission: This is the standard ticket type that gives you access to the standing-room-only area on the main floor of the theater. You’ll be able to get up close and personal with the performers and dance the night away.
- VIP Balcony: If you’re looking for a more exclusive experience, the VIP balcony is a great option. This area overlooks the main floor of the theater and has its own bar and seating options.
- Private Boxes: For the ultimate VIP experience, you can rent one of the three private boxes at El Rey Theatre. These boxes accommodate up to 10 people and come with a private server and bottle service.
El Rey Theatre is fully accessible for patrons with disabilities. There is a wheelchair-accessible entrance, as well as an elevator that provides access to the balcony and private boxes. If you have any specific accessibility needs, it’s recommended that you reach out to the venue in advance so they can make accommodations for you.
Tips for Attending a Show
If you’re planning on attending a show at El Rey Theatre, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Arrive early: The theater operates on a first-come, first-served basis, so if you want to get a good spot, plan to arrive early.
- Dress comfortably: The theater can get pretty hot and crowded, so make sure you dress comfortable and wear shoes you can dance in.
- Stay hydrated: There are bars throughout the theater where you can purchase drinks, but it’s a good idea to bring a water bottle with you to stay hydrated throughout the night.
If you’re looking for a smaller, more intimate venue to see live music in Los Angeles, El Rey Theatre is definitely worth checking out. With a maximum capacity of 771 people, it offers a more personal experience that’s hard to find at larger venues. Whether you’re into indie rock, electronic music, or something else entirely, El Rey always has a diverse lineup of talented performers passing through.
Who has Played at the Roxy Theatre?
The Roxy Theatre has attracted some of the world’s most popular musicians and entertainers. Here are just a few of the big names that have performed at this iconic venue:
- Bob Marley and the Wailers had their first show in the US at the Roxy Theatre in 1975, wowing the crowd with their infectious reggae beats.
- David Bowie played at the Roxy in 1973, performing hits like “Moonage Daydream” and “Suffragette City.”
- The Rolling Stones performed a secret show at the Roxy in 1978, playing a mix of old and new material, much to the delight of the audience.
- Lady Gaga played at the Roxy early in her career, before becoming an international superstar.
- Rihanna also performed at the Roxy before she hit it big, showcasing her talent to a small but appreciative audience.
- Bruno Mars played a sold-out show at the Roxy in 2010, just before his career exploded.
- Richard Pryor was a regular at the Roxy in the 1970s, performing his signature brand of edgy and hilarious stand-up.
- George Carlin also graced the Roxy stage during this time, delivering his insightful and irreverent comedy routines to packed crowds.
Other Famous Acts
- Elvis Costello has played the Roxy several times throughout his career, putting on unforgettable shows for his fans.
- The Red Hot Chili Peppers performed at the Roxy in the early 1980s, showcasing their energetic and eclectic musical style.
- Guns N’ Roses had their first show at the Roxy in 1985, setting the stage for their meteoric rise to fame.
The Roxy Theatre has a long and storied history of hosting some of the biggest names in music and entertainment. Whether you’re a fan of classic rock, reggae, pop, or comedy, chances are you’ll find something to love at this iconic venue!
The Coca Cola Roxy Capacity
The Roxy Theater in Los Angeles is an iconic venue that has been around for more than four decades. This intimate theater has a capacity of 500 seats, making it the perfect place for concerts and other live performances. One of the most important things to note about the Roxy Theater is that it’s not to be confused with another famous venue: the Coca Cola Roxy Theater in Atlanta.
Here are some facts that you need to know about the Coca Cola Roxy Theater:
The Coca Cola Roxy Theater is located in Atlanta, Georgia, in the heart of the Battery Atlanta. This state-of-the-art venue is owned by Live Nation and boasts some of the best sound and lighting systems in the country.
Unlike the Roxy Theater in Los Angeles, the Coca Cola Roxy Theater can hold up to 3,600 guests. This makes it a much larger venue that can accommodate big-name performers and larger events.
The Coca Cola Roxy Theater has a rich history that dates back to the early 1990s. The venue originally opened in 1991 as the Coca Cola Lakewood Amphitheatre and became the Coca Cola Roxy Theater in 1994. Since then, it has hosted countless concerts, comedy shows, and other live events.
In 2017, the Coca Cola Roxy Theater underwent a massive renovation to update its facilities and modernize its look. The theater now features all-new seating, expanded VIP areas, and state-of-the-art sound and lighting systems.
The Coca Cola Roxy Theater offers a variety of amenities to make guests feel comfortable and at home. From spacious restrooms to full-service bars and concession stands, the venue has everything you need to enjoy a night out on the town.
- The Coca Cola Roxy Theater is located in Atlanta and can hold up to 3,600 guests.
- The theater has a rich history dating back to the early 1990s and has undergone a recent renovation to update its facilities.
- Guests can enjoy a variety of amenities, including spacious restrooms, full-service bars, and concession stands.
In conclusion, the Coca Cola Roxy Theater in Atlanta is a modern and spacious venue that can accommodate large crowds for concerts and other live events. Its state-of-the-art facilities and amenities make it a premier destination for performers and guests alike. If you ever find yourself in Atlanta and are looking for a great night out, be sure to check out the Coca Cola Roxy Theater.
California Theater Capacity
Los Angeles is known for its vibrant theater scene, and the state of California is home to some of the largest theaters in the world. Here are some interesting facts about theaters in California:
Largest Theater in California
- The largest theater in California is the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, with a seating capacity of over 3,400 people. It is the home of the Academy Awards, and several other prestigious events are held there annually.
Other Theaters in California
- The Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles has a seating capacity of over 2,000 people, and it has been a popular venue for concerts, plays, and other events since it was built in 1926.
- The San Diego Civic Theatre can seat over 2,900 people and is one of the largest theaters in California. It hosts a variety of performances, including musicals, operas, and symphonies.
- The Pantages Theatre in Los Angeles has a seating capacity of over 2,700 people and is renowned for its historical architecture and stunning decor.
Impact of Capacity on Theater Experience
The size of a theater can greatly affect the audience’s experience. Here are some takeaways to consider when choosing a theater based on capacity:
- Larger theaters provide a grander and more memorable experience while watching performances, but it’s harder to see facial expressions and details from far away, making it less intimate.
- Smaller theaters provide a more intimate experience, allowing a closer interaction with the performers, and there is more potential for individual attention from the performers. However, a smaller audience can create a less grand atmosphere.
California theaters are undoubtedly beautiful venues, hosting some of the largest and most memorable productions worldwide. The size of a theater can significantly impact the audience’s experience, so it’s important to choose wisely when selecting a venue. Whether it’s the Dolby Theatre or the Pantages, there’s always something new and exciting to discover in California’s thriving theater scene.
Roxy Theater Los Angeles Death
If you’re familiar with the Roxy Theater in Los Angeles, you know that it has a rich history that dates back to the late 1920s. It has survived the Great Depression, multiple ownership changes, and even a few tragic deaths.
In this subsection, we’ll be taking a closer look at the Roxy Theater’s dark past and exploring some of the notable deaths that have occurred on its premises.
The Death of Todd Mizrahi
One of the most tragic events in the Roxy Theater’s history occurred on June 20, 1991. Todd Mizrahi, a freelance lighting technician, was working at the theater when he fell from the lighting grid and was killed instantly. The accident prompted an investigation into the safety standards at the Roxy Theater, which led to a series of renovations and updates to ensure the safety of staff and patrons alike.
The Ghost of the Roxy Theater
Legend has it that the Roxy Theater is haunted by the ghost of a former employee who died under mysterious circumstances. Some say that she was a former manager who was murdered by an angry ex-boyfriend, while others claim that she died from a drug overdose. Whatever the case may be, many employees and patrons have reported seeing strange occurrences at the theater, including doors opening and closing on their own, unexplained cold spots, and shadowy figures lurking in the corners.
Other Tragic Deaths
While the death of Todd Mizrahi is perhaps the most well-known tragedy to occur at the Roxy Theater, it is not the only one. Over the years, there have been several other deaths that have taken place at the theater, including:
- A patron who suffered a heart attack during a performance
- A stagehand who was electrocuted while setting up lighting equipment
- An employee who fell down a flight of stairs and broke their neck
Despite these tragedies, the Roxy Theater continues to be a popular venue for musicians, comedians, and other performers. And while the theater’s dark past may be unsettling to some, it is an important reminder of the importance of safety standards and the need for constant vigilance in the entertainment industry.
How Big is the Roxy in Hollywood?
The Roxy Theatre is a popular concert venue in Hollywood, California, known for hosting famous musicians and bands from around the world. One significant question many people have is, “How big is the Roxy in Hollywood?” In this section, we will take a closer look at the Roxy’s capacity and other interesting details you should know as a music fan planning to attend the venue.
Roxy’s Seating Capacity
The Roxy can accommodate up to 500 people at capacity, making it an intimate venue that provides a unique live performance experience. The seating arrangement includes:
- General Admission Floor
- Mezzanine seating with a clear view of the stage
- VIP Reserved Seating
It’s important to note that the Roxy does not offer assigned seating in the General Admission and Mezzanine areas. This setup allows attendees to experience a more spontaneous and relaxed setting for concerts.
History of the Roxy
The Roxy Theatre was established by Lou Adler and Elmer Valentine in 1973 and has become one of the most famous and successful music venues in Los Angeles. The venue has a track record for fostering the careers of upcoming artists and showcasing renowned stars’ performances.
The Roxy Theatre has hosted many legendary names in rock and roll, including Bob Marley, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Guns N’ Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Janet Jackson, and Foo Fighters, to name a few.
Unique Features of the Roxy
Apart from the venue’s music performances, the Roxy offers other unique features that patrons may find interesting. These include:
The green room, which is a classic lounge area designed for performers to relax, socialize, and prepare for their performances. The green room is furnished with a pool table, old school arcade games, and a bar.
The dressing rooms are located below the venue and are equipped with all the amenities to make a performer’s preparation more comfortable and peaceful.
The outside smoking patio gives patrons the opportunity to enjoy a smoke while chatting with friends.
The upstairs section, known as On The Rox, is a small bar roughly the same size as the Roxy stage. It provides a more cozy setting for audience members and performers to enjoy drinks and connect further.
The Roxy Theatre is a unique music venue that provides an intimate and spontaneous environment for music lovers and performers. Its seating capacity and intimate setting make it the perfect location for artists to showcase their talents to a smaller audience. From its unique features to the roster of legendary performers that have graced the stage, the Roxy is a must-visit venue for any music fan looking for a memorable experience in Los Angeles.
Who Has Performed at the Roxy Los Angeles?
The Roxy Theater in Los Angeles has a rich history of hosting some of the most famous musicians and entertainers of all time. Here are some of the notable performers who have graced the stage at the Roxy over the years:
1. Bruce Springsteen
In 1975, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band played a series of legendary shows at the Roxy that helped cement their status as one of the greatest rock and roll acts of all time. The shows were so popular that tickets sold out almost immediately, and Springsteen and the band had to add extra shows to accommodate the demand.
2. The Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Red Hot Chili Peppers got their start playing at the Roxy in the early 1980s. The band played a series of shows at the venue that helped them gain a following and get noticed by record labels. Today, the band is one of the most successful and influential rock acts of all time.
3. Guns N’ Roses
Guns N’ Roses played some of their earliest shows at the Roxy in the mid-1980s. The band’s performance at the venue helped build their reputation as one of the greatest hard rock acts of all time. It wasn’t long before they were selling out arenas around the world.
4. Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash played a series of shows at the Roxy in the mid-1990s that were some of his last performances before his death in 2003. The shows were intimate affairs that showcased Cash’s unique blend of country, rock, and Americana. They are now considered some of the most memorable and cherished performances of his career.
5. Bob Marley
Bob Marley played two shows at the Roxy in 1976 that are now legendary among fans of reggae music. The shows featured Marley and the Wailers performing some of their biggest hits, including “No Woman, No Cry” and “Stir It Up.”
6. Jane’s Addiction
Jane’s Addiction played a series of shows at the Roxy in the late 1980s that helped establish the band as one of the greatest alternative rock acts of all time. The shows featured the band’s trademark mix of hard rock, funk, and avant-garde art.
7. The Doors
The Doors played some of their earliest shows at the Roxy in the mid-1960s. The shows helped the band build a local following and develop their unique blend of rock, blues, and psychedelic music. Today, the band is considered one of the greatest rock acts of all time.
These are just a few of the many legendary performers who have graced the stage at the Roxy Theater in Los Angeles over the years. If you’re a music fan, it’s definitely a venue worth checking out.
How many people can the Coca Cola Roxy theater hold?
If you’re planning on attending a show at the Coca Cola Roxy theater in Los Angeles, it’s important to know how many people the venue can hold. The capacity of the Roxy theater can affect your experience and the type of show you’re able to attend. In this section, we’ll provide you with all the information you need to know about the capacity of the Coca Cola Roxy theater.
Here’s what you need to know:
General Information about the Coca Cola Roxy
- The Coca Cola Roxy is a premier music venue located in the heart of Hollywood.
- The theater has hosted a range of famous artists and events, from rock bands to comedians and more.
How many people can the Coca Cola Roxy hold?
- The Roxy has a capacity of 800 people standing or 300 seated in the balcony area.
- The venue is designed in such a way that every seat provides a great view of the stage, so no matter where you sit, you’ll be able to enjoy the show.
Other important things to know about the Coca Cola Roxy
- The Roxy has a strict “no re-entry” policy, which means that if you leave the venue, you won’t be able to come back in.
- Only those who are over the age of 18 or accompanied by an adult will be allowed entry into the venue, so make sure you have a valid ID with you.
So there you have it, everything you need to know about the capacity of the Coca Cola Roxy theater in Los Angeles. With a capacity of 800 people standing or 300 seated in the balcony area, the Roxy is the perfect venue for intimate concerts and shows. Make sure you come prepared with a valid ID and expect to have a great time!