Chris O’Leary is a name that has become synonymous with some of the most extraordinary blues and R&B music of our time. For those who haven’t had the privilege of listening to his music, Chris’s distinctive style of singing and the ability to merge different musical genres make him a force to be reckoned with.
If you’re a David Bowie fan, then you might have encountered Chris’s name as the leader of the Chris O’Leary Band. Chris served as David Bowie’s tour manager for over ten years, including his final album, “Blackstar,” which was released two days before his death.
But there’s more to this talented musician than just being a band leader and tour manager. Chris has an extensive catalog of music that showcases his artistic prowess. From his debut solo album “Mr. Used to Be” to his latest hit “7 Minutes Late,” Chris continues to leave his mark in the industry.
In this blog post, we’ll delve deep into the life and music career of Chris O’Leary and get to know more about his background, band members, and the impact he has had on the music industry. So, grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and enjoy as we explore the world of Chris O’Leary.
The Fascinating Story of Chris O’Leary and Bowie
Chris O’Leary is best known for his love of baseball, but did you know he’s also an avid music fan? In fact, one of his favorite musicians is the legendary David Bowie.
Here’s a closer look at Chris O’Leary and Bowie’s fascinating connection:
A Chance Encounter
In the mid-90s, Chris O’Leary was working as a Rockland Boulders baseball coach, and he was fortunate enough to meet Bowie by chance. The musician was attending one of the team’s games, and Chris approached him to introduce himself.
They hit it off immediately, and Bowie even invited Chris to come to a recording session for his album “Outside.” Chris was thrilled by the opportunity and ended up playing harmonica on one of the tracks.
A Deep Appreciation
Chris O’Leary wasn’t just a casual Bowie fan – he had a deep appreciation for the musician’s work. He even wrote extensively about Bowie on his website “Pushing Ahead of the Dame”, which is an ode to Bowie’s music spanning from the 1960s to the early 2000s.
Bowie’s music was a huge inspiration for Chris, and he often remarked that it helped him to process difficult emotions and experiences in his own life. In fact, Chris credits Bowie with helping him to recover from a cancer diagnosis.
A Legacy Continued
Sadly, both Chris O’Leary and David Bowie have now passed away, but their legacies live on. Fans of Bowie’s music can still enjoy his extensive discography, and Chris’ website remains active and continues to celebrate the musician’s life and work.
Perhaps the most enduring legacy of Chris O’Leary and Bowie’s relationship, however, is the way that their shared love of art brought them together and created a lasting connection that transcended traditional boundaries.
- Chris O’Leary and David Bowie had a chance encounter at a Rockland Boulders baseball game.
- Bowie even invited Chris to a recording session for his album “Outside,” and Chris played harmonica on one of the tracks.
- Chris wrote extensively about Bowie on his website “Pushing Ahead of the Dame” and credited the musician with helping him through a cancer diagnosis.
- The legacies of both Chris O’Leary and David Bowie continue to live on through their fans and their shared love of art.
In conclusion, Chris O’Leary and Bowie’s relationship is a testament to the power of music and how it can bring people from all walks of life together. Their connection shows that even the most unexpected encounters can lead to meaningful and lasting friendships, and it’s something that fans of both Chris and Bowie will always cherish.
Chris Oleary Band Members
Chris Oleary is a talented blues singer and harmonica player who has been touring and recording for over a decade. To bring his music to life, he’s assembled a group of highly skilled musicians to form the Chris Oleary Band. Here are some key facts about the band’s members:
Andy Stahl (Saxophone)
- Andy Stahl has been playing saxophone for over two decades and is known for his funky horn lines.
- He’s played with a variety of bands and musicians, from jazz to funk to blues.
- Andy has been a member of the Chris Oleary Band since 2011 and is a staple of the group’s sound.
Matt Raymond (Bass)
- Matt Raymond is a seasoned bass player who has been performing for over 20 years.
- He’s played with a wide range of artists and has a diverse musical background.
- Matt joined the Chris Oleary Band in 2014 and brings a solid foundation to the band’s rhythm section.
Chris Vitarello (Guitar)
- Chris Vitarello is a skilled guitarist and blues singer who has been performing for over 20 years.
- He’s shared the stage with many greats, including John Hammond and Levon Helm.
- Chris joined the Chris Oleary Band in 2015 and provides fiery guitar solos and soulful vocals.
Alexei V. Nunez (Drums)
- Alexei V. Nunez is a versatile drummer with experience in a variety of musical styles, including jazz, rock, and blues.
- He’s played with a number of well-known artists, including Ani DiFranco and Maria Muldaur.
- Alexei joined the Chris Oleary Band in 2017 and brings a powerful backbeat to the band’s sound.
The Chris Oleary Band is made up of a group of highly skilled musicians who bring their own unique talents and styles to the band’s sound. From funky saxophone lines to soulful guitar solos to solid bass and drum grooves, the band members each play an important role in bringing Chris Oleary’s music to life.